View a new “Earth Friendly” green home today, July 19th and tomorrow July 20th in Lake Norman! Pippin Home Designs has opened their “Live Green Project” home in partnership with Habitat for Humanity to raise money for Women’s Build, a program to build adequate homes for mothers and children. The “Live Green Project” home is located at 7390 Gabriel Street in Sherrills Ford on the northeast side of Lake Norman. Tickets are $11 and they are open 10am – 6pm.
“Project Live Green” is actually the personal home of Jennifer Pippin, owner of Pippin Home Designs. She decided to make her major expansion of her 1200 square foot Lake Norman cottage a model for environmentally-friendly building here in Lake Norman. “One of my goals when I build my own home was to educate the community about green techniques on both a small and large scale” said Pippen in a Mooresville Tribune article.
The small lake cottage “has been transformed into a 4,459 square foot Green Showplace in Sherrills Ford, North Carolina on Lake Norman….and was recently recognized a the USGPC and the Charlotte Business Journel’s inaugural Green Advocate of the Year and her business was recognized as Green For-Profit Business of the Year” according to their website: Project Living Green.
Some of the green features of this Lake Norman home include:
- Evaluating the home and the direction of the sun before construction
- Energy-Star certified
- Use of landscape shading to keep home cool
- Use of natural lighting
- Sun-Tempering, Solar Water Heater
- Rainwater Collection System
- Sustainable/Renewable Floor Products such as bamboo, cork and Marmoleum
- Cellulose Insulation or Icynene Foam
- Minimal disturbance of the site: Erosion control and tree protection
- Energy Star rated windows and doors
- Energy Star rated appliances, lighting, and exhaust system
- Low VOC paints and Sealants
This project was created by Pippin Home Designs, Spivey Construction and ptidesigns Interiors LLC and implemented with the help of Green Design experts from around the world.
I can’t wait to go…I hope to see you there!
RELATED ARTICLES and Links