One of the disclosures our folksy Lake Norman real estate agent neglected to mention to my husband and I when we moved here in 2005 was that Duke Energy’s McGuire Nuclear Station (yes, a full-blown nuclear power plant) was just 9 miles away from our home…opps!
While the presence of a nuclear power plant on Lake Norman doesn’t seem to bother most home buyers, I do think it is important for them to know that it exists and be able to appease any concerns they may have. Every year Duke Energy sends out calendars to Lake Norman home owners with basic information about the plant and emergency exit plans.
On November 19, 2008 Duke Energy is holding a “Newcomer’s Drop-In” at the Duke Energy’s Energy Explorium on Lake Norman from 6p.m. to 8p.m. This will be a great opportunity for Lake Norman residents to attend a brief presentation about the McGuire Nuclear Station and have any questions answered as well. Children are welcome!
A the EnergyExplorium, you can:
- Take a virtual tour of the McGuire Nuclear Station
- Play interactive games and learn to use energy wisely
- Convert your own energy into enough electricity to power a TV!
- Watch a movie about Lake Norman and the community
- Walk a natural trail along the shore of Lake Norman and experience the wonders of the Piedmont’s environment.
If you plan to attend the Newcomer’s Drop-in you will need to RSVP by November 12th at : 704.875.5600.
The EnergyExplorium is open to visitors Monday – Friday: 9a.m. – 5 p.m. and is located at 13339 Hagers Ferry Rd in Huntersville.