Today is a perfect day to be out on Lake Norman boating and playing, especially for our children who are on summer vacation. But, if you are smart, you will go shopping instead because today starts our North Carolina’s annual tax-free back-to-school days!
This sales tax holiday, which lasts through this Sunday, August 9th (2009), is meant to help back-to-school shopping more affordable for parents but truly most of us can benefit as well.
For those of you new to the Mooresville Lake Norman area, every year NorthCarolina sets three days as “tax exempt” just for back-to-school supplies. What a great way to help out parents, especially this year with our continuing economic and housing struggles.
Here is a list of the items the qualify for exemption from sales tax:
- Clothing & footwear (including outerwear, shoes and diapers)
- School supplies of $100 or less per item (including backpacks, paper, notebooks, calculators, lunchboxes and other writing and art supplies)
- NEW IN 2009!: A separate exemption for instructional materials such as reference books, maps, globes, workbooks and textbooks of $300 or less per item
- Computers of $3,500 or less per item
- Computer accessories such as discs and printer ink at $250 or less per item
- School Sports and recreation equipment of $50 or less per item
Items NOT covered include:
- Computer parts such as monitors, keyboards or speakers unless sold as part of a package including the computer
- Jewelry and cosmetics
- Protective equipment such as hardhats, safety belts and tool belts
- Items used in a trade or business
The North Carolina Department of Revenue has a website: dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html where you will find a list of exempt items and a listing of frequently asked questions. All retailers in North Carolina that sell these designated items are required to participate according to the NC Department of Revenue.
Don’t forget that we have a Staples and Best Buy in Mooresville on Hwy 150 just across the street from our SuperTarget and down the road from our SuperWalMart. With all of these large stores so close together it’s a great way to save on gas too. Most of these stores are offering back-to-school specials this weekend as well.
This weekend is a wonderful opportunity to get the kids out of the house (or out of the lake) and enjoy a chance to save a bit of money as school is just around the corner!