I went to a grand opening of a new housing development yesterday. Before I even got to tour the model home, one of the sales representatives offered that in addition to their current models they will be offering a ranch (one-story) and a plan with a master bedroom downstairs in the near future. I was frankly quite surprised that they didn’t have these model options in their initial plans until I realized the developers were from out-of-state and they must not have known how great the demand is for single story ranch homes or two-story homes with the master bedroom downstairs here in our greater Lake Norman area. If only they had consulted with a local Realtor BEFORE they started!
Since I have been fortunate to work with a number of buyers recently, I thought it might be helpful and interesting to potential sellers, builders, and even buyers if I created a list based on my own experiences as to what is popular right now in our Lake Norman housing market.
So, here is my own personal list of what is HOT and what is NOT in Lake Norman’s current residential real estate market:
WHAT IS HOT?
- Master bedrooms downstairs
- One-story ranch houses
- Walk-out basements, even basements if we had them!
- Hardwood floors in main rooms
- Granite or stone counter-tops…natural stone floors in kitchens and baths
- Wooded or landscaped lots with some privacy
- Large master bathrooms with separate spa-like showers of natural stone and glass
- Large master closets
- Home offices
- Large bonus rooms/extra rooms
- Tall ceilings in most rooms
- Large front porches (for rocking chairs of course!)
- Large decking and/or porches in back…screened is good! Built-in barbecue is even better!
- Craftsman style architecture or blend of Craftsman and traditional (This does vary quite a bit)
- Spacious kitchens that open to great rooms with fireplace
- New appliances…gas ranges
- Color on walls (usually variations of tans or greens but there are many others)
- Warm woods like maple or cherry for floors and cabinets
- Over-sized garages…3-car a plus
- Floorplans that have a good flow and continuity
- Lots of natural light
- Spacious secondary bedrooms
- Built-ins (Around fireplaces or in bonus rooms)
- Clean and uncluttered…Staging (If selling must look like model home!)
WHAT IS COLD?
- All white interiors
- Solid color, solid material counter-tops and linoleum
- Gold lighting fixtures
- Vertical blinds
- Dated anything!
- Cut-out above fireplaces for TV (No need with flat-screen TVs!)
- Austere or cold architecture
- Small master bathrooms and closets
- Lack of storage
- Wasted square footage
- Most wallpaper
- Most faux finishes but not all
- Lack of useable, good-sized porches
- Small stark lots with no trees
- “As is” sales/no staging
Please feel free to add your thoughts to this list in the comments!