At a time when many towns are working hard just to retain their local businesses, Lake Norman just keeps adding more great options for our lucky area residents! The growth since my family arrived in 2005 is truly amazing. When I drive relocating buyers around the Lake Norman communities I point out many of these recent additions which have added so much variety and convenience to our lifestyles. While growth definitely slowed starting in 2008 we have continued to get some exciting new restaurants and retail stores; and this trend is increasing as our Lake Norman area economy recovers.
Here are some of our latest additions:
Restaurants/Food and Beverages:
- Mooresville Ice Cream Company’s old fashioned ice cream parlor is celebrating its grand opening at the corner of Broad and Moore Ave this Friday, May 18th. This comes on the heels of the launch of their new Front Porch Carolina Churned Ice Cream Brand featuring “Southern-inspired flavors” including “Sassy Strawberry, Chocolate Rocker, Blackberry Crumble and Home-style Butter Pecan.” YUM!
- Michael Bay, developer/owner of Mooresville’s old Burlington Mill is planning to open “an authentic, Old World Pizzeria” on September 25th following the traditions of Naples Italy. The 120-seat pizzeria will be located on Main St. in the former power house building at the old Mill. 4 brick ovens, all organic…can’t wait!
- The Prickly Pear just opened in their new location next to Vinnie’s on Williamson Rd in Mooresville. Same great food but now awesome lake view dining as well!
- La Patisserie on Brawley School Rd continues to be a hot spot since opening about a year ago. GREAT bakery, lunches and Sunday brunch.
- My husband and I have become quite fond of Blu Star Grill which opened recently in the Harris Teeter Shopping Center at the corner of Brawley School and Williamson Rd. Their main feature is the build your own burger which can start with Black Angus Beef, Bison, Ground Turkey, Chicken Breast or the Black-bean Burger. “Fresh, natural food is what this whole concept is about,” Bass said in a recent Mooresville Weekly article. “We all see a lot about farm-to-fork and using fresh, locally grown/made products in higher-end restaurants, so why not apply that to a fast-casual setting?”
- The Davidson Beverage Co. just opened last week at 442 S. Main Street in Davidson. This specialty wine and craft beer store not only sells craft beers and wine but has a tasting bar, wide-screen TV, wi-fi as well. I think this will definitely become a popular hangout very soon!
- Paddy’s Poor House just opened recently in the Shops on The Green in Cornelius. They offer “upscale pub grub” with a goal of creating a friendly, “Cheers vibe” to attract locals and neighbors. Owner Tim Flynn, a disabled veteran, was attracted to Lake Norman from New York by our warm weather and nice people. There is a lot of this going around!
- Now here is a really cool idea: a restaurant/hangout for dogs and dog lovers! Opening this summer in Cornelius on Hwy 21, Lucky Dog will not only offer many dog services including day care, a doggy park and grooming, but will have The Lucky Dog Bar, serving coffee, espresso, beer, wine and cocktails for the humans that frequent the great dog facility.
- Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar opened recently in one of my favorite destinations: Birkdale Village in Huntersville. Bad Daddy’s offers something for everyone, including vegetarians, with great burgers, giant chopped salads, homemade chips. You can even build your own burger. They offer breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays from 8-11am.
- Coming soon to Birkdale Village is Bonefish Grill. More to follow as I find out more. 5/18/12 Update: Bonefish Grill is now open! This is a restaurant chain and as its name suggests has a wide variety of wood-grilled and baked fishes as well as grilled meats, salads and soups. The only review I have found was positive so check it out and let us know what you think!
Last week I had a potential Lake Norman homebuyer ask me if we had a Sam’s Club in the area. Well, guess what? it was just announced that Sam’s Club plans to locate a new store on Ervin Rd just off Hwy 150 and Morrison Plantation in Mooresville. Now, if we could get a Whole Foods…anyone listening?
Finally, something I think could only happen in our car crazy area. The Auto Country Club is coming. Yes, a country club for car lovers! The Auto Country Club will consist of ten 20,000 sq ft buildings on 27 acres on Hwy 73 in Huntersville. The club will consist of individual car condominiums that can be customized to the owners specifications. Each condo can be outfitted with a loft to create your ultimate “Man Cave”? And, their clubhouse will include a kitchen, lounge, conference room, show room for car events, outside fireplace and grilling area, dining both inside and out.
Have anything to add? Feel free to email me or leave a comment!