It seems like almost every day there is a new restriction on water use added to the communities and counties surrounding Lake Norman. For those of you who don’t know, North Carolina is in a severe drought, our lake levels are so low that boating has become nearly impossible.
Here are this week’s new restrictions:
- Duke Energy has banned the pumping of water from Lake Norman for lawn irrigation.
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities has banned all lawn irrigation
- Lincoln County has had a lawn-watering ban since Mid-August
- Iredell and Catawba counties still allow lawn watering
- Mooresville has limited lawn irrigation to three times a week based upon the street address
- Sherrills Ford residents who get their water from Hickory are limited to watering Tuesday and Saturday evenings
- Statesville and Troutman isn’t currently under any conservation measures.
Duke Energy has said that the ban will be in effect “until rain returns to the area and restores streamflows, lake levels and groundwater levels to normal operating levels”. First-time violators will be issues a warning but a second violation will result in Duke Power removing pumping facilities from the lake and continued violations could result in a loss of dock access for up to 5 years!.