When I first moved to Mooresville I thought I had to drive all the way to South Park to find upscale stores. I was so wrong!
One of the unfortunate truths about the Lake residents is that we tend to stay West of the I-77 with the exception of an occasional trip to the DMV or to some of the big box stores like WalMart along HWY 150. I urge everyone to take the time to visit Main Street; explore, take advantage of, and support the fine shops, restaurants and public services. Here are 27 reasons why:
1. Landmark Galleries is the home of world renowned artist “Cotton” Ketchie whose beautiful watercolors and photographs are dedicated to preserving the heritage of Mooresville, North Carolina and special landmarks throughout the country. Landmark Galleries, run by Cotton’s talented wife Vickie, (As Cotton claims he is “retired” yet he starts work in the wee hours of the morning and doesn’t stop!) has a wonderful selection of Cotton’s original watercolors, limited edition prints, giclée, photography, North Carolina pottery, hand-carved decoys and even screen-savers featuring Cotton’s photography. His work’s subjects include Lake Norman, lighthouses of North Carolina and Maine, country landscapes and landmarks like grist mills and old barns, the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Mountains as well as newer works like Shelton Vineyards and Davidson College. If you EVER need custom framing, I can not tell you what an incredible job they do. I have had numerous prints framed by them and am always overwhelmed when I see them! One last thing, you simply can’t leave without getting an autographed copy of Cotton’s latest book “Memories of a County Boy”. To truly understand and appreciate the history of Mooresville and laugh as you do so, it is a must read!
2. La Patisserie Bakery :There simply are none better than La Patisserie; whether you want to relax at a sidewalk table with an espresso and one of their incredible pastries or scones, order a cake or dessert tray for a special occasion or enjoy a delicious crepe for lunch. Family-owned and operated, their expert pastry chef and cake decorators are known for their authentic ingredients that are used to create exceptional wedding and specialty cakes.
Thanks to their Cuban heritage they offer a truly unique lunch menu as well.
This past year La Patisserie out-grew their quaint coffee shop on Main Street and opened a new location further up on 627 North Main Street where they now have a sit-down breakfast and lunch restaurant/bakery. Their crepes and empanadas are simply divine! (I can’t believe I just wrote that:). This is now where you would go to order or buy a cake or meet with their catering expert as well. (Or visit their Lake Norman Location on Brawley School Road).
EPIC CHOP HOUSE
3. Epic Chop House: The first thing that you will notice when walking into this popular restaurant is the care and detail that went in to the preservation of the historic building where they reside, kitty-corner to the original train depot on the corner of Main and Center Street. With 4 stars on Yelp and 67 reviews you know it is one of Lake Norman’s best restaurants!
Epic Chophouse offers fine dining in an elegant and comfortable setting. Our great selection of steak, seafood, other fine foods and wine has quickly made us one of the most sought-after dining choices in the Lake Norman region of North Carolina. Our experienced chefs can please the most discriminating palate and our friendly staff strives to give you wonderful dining experience.
Come on over for a relaxing night of great food and drinks!
The restaurant is open 5 – 10 pm Sunday – Thursday
and 5 – 11 pm Friday and Saturday.
The bar is open 4 – 11 pm Sunday – Thursday
and 4 pm- 12 am Friday and Saturday
The Enchanted Olive
4. The Enchanted Olive: If you like olive oil, balsamic vinegar and want the best quality and variety available I would highly recommend a visit to this awesome story located at 119 N Main Street. They have row of large jars of olive oils that you can taste samples of and once you pick your favorite they create your own fully sealed bottle offered in three sizes. My favorite it their Myers Lemon which is great on a fresh salads!!!
ALEXANDER ZACHARY JEWELERS
5. Alexander Zachary JEWELERS:I had gone to the same, third-generation family-owned jewelry store for 25 years before I moved here. Luckily, I found Alexander Zachary Jewelers. They have a gold smith in the store who provides jewelry repair service, stone setting, design and casting, 3 Gemological Institute of America trained appraisers who will work directly with your insurance companies, and, their watch services include battery replacement while you wait, repair and servicing and restoration of vintage watches and pocket watches. I can’t recommend them more highly!
I was surprised the first time I visited the store to discover a nice selection of quality jewelry and watches for sale! They carry such brands as Tissot Swiss watches, Galatea’s “Diamond in a pearl”, Auro Design’s Rio collection of vibrantly colored stones set in trendy styles, as well as custom set diamonds.
One extra that I hadn’t counted on as well was that the owner, Bill Thunberg, our past Mooresville Town Mayor, will mostly likely be there to help you and even to chat about the town. They definitely live up to their slogan: Real People Helping Real People.
Okay, so I’m only done with 5 of the 27 but it is clear this would be simply too long if I tried to write about all 27 in one post. So, stay-tuned for Part 2.