Tucked in between Cornelius to the south and Mooresville to the north along the shores of Lake Norman is the small town of Davidson. Home to Davidson College, of the nation’s top liberal arts colleges, Davidson is truly the epitome of a small, historic college town. Unlike the other towns on Lake Norman, Davidson has sustained moderate growth in part because of careful town planning and by incorporating strict preservation rules.
A Brief Overview of Davidson NC:
- Davidson College was Founded by Presbyterians in 1837 and is the centerpiece of the town that grew around it.
- The 450-acre campus has an enrollment of about 1700 students
- The school and town were named after Gen. William Lee Davidson, a Revolutionary War hero
- The Town of Davidson was incorporated in 1879
- Population: 11,112
- Located in Mecklenburg County
If I’m hungry chances are I will stop at The Soda Shop which remains true to the classic 1950’s soda shops complete with great black and white milkshakes, round stools at the counters and cozy booths.
Another must visit is Summit Coffee & Tea which is THE hangout for all ages and where you can sit back and absorb the classic, homey, academic environment while reading the paper.
Further down on Main Street is The Wooden Stone, an artsy store that carries a myriad eclectic selection of Folk Art including turned wood vases, glass and ceramic one-of-a-kind lamps, table ware, beautiful craftsman furniture.
The Davidson College Campus is a great place to take a stroll or curl up under a tree and read. It also offers wonderful art and entertainment for the community.
Near the college, gorgeous Victorian and Georgian-style homes are surrounded by massive oak trees.
In part because of its academic atmosphere, Davidson is highly involved in the arts.
During the summer a series is held on Sunday nights called Concerts on the Green featuring a diverse selection of musical groups.
The Green is also the sight of art festivals and other art events like the Gallery Crawl and Rocking Chairs on the Green
Founded in 1965, the Davidson Community Players performs plays and musicals.
Some interesting things about Davidson:
- Residents recently voted Davidson #1 for excellent sense of community
- Davidson prides itself on being bicycle friendly and recently created a steering committee to develop a biking master plan which the goal of encouraging cycling as a transportation option
- Davidson has a street tree inventory and masterplan in the works with a town tree ordinance
- The town of Davidson is working on greenway maps including natural resources such as ponds
- The town has a Public Arts Task force which is working to lay the groundwork for a permanent public arts program
- Downtown Davidson Inc. is a non-profit group working to strengthen downtown Davidson’s position as a community center and a unique shopping destination while maintaining its historic, pedestrian-friendly character
- Christmas in Davidson
- Official Site: Town of Davidson which includes: Calendar of Events, Community Groups, Parks and Recreation, and all city services
OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT LAKE NORMAN