Today is a perfect day to be out on Lake Norman boating and playing, especially for our children who are on summer vacation. It’s hard to believe that another year has gone by and that this Friday – Sunday are North Carolina’s annual tax-free back-to-school days!
Technically, the sales tax holiday begins at exactly 12.01a.m. on Friday, August 1st and ends at exactly 11:59p.m. on Sunday, August 3, 2008.
For those of you new to the Mooresville Lake Norman area, every year North Carolina sets three days as “tax exempt” just for back-to-school supplies. What a great way to help out parents, especially this year with our housing slowdown, high gas prices and economic challenges!
Here is a list of the items the qualify for exemption from sales tax:
- Clothing, footwear and school supplies of $100 or less per item
- School instructional materials such as reference books, workbooks and textbooks of $300 or less per item
- Sports and recreation equipment of $50 or less per item
- Computers of $3,500 or less per item
- Computer supplies of $250 or less per item
Items NOT covered include:
- Clothing, accessories
- Jewelry and cosmetics
- Protective equipment such as hardhats, safety belts and tool belts
- Items used in a trade or business
The North Carolina Department of Revenue has a website: dor.state.nc.us/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html where you will find a list of exempt items and a listing of frequently asked questions.
Don’t forget that we have a new Staples and Best Buy in Mooresville on Hwy 150 just across the street from our SuperTarget and down the road from our SuperWalMart as well. With all of these large stores so close together it’s a great way to save on gas too!
This weekend is a wonderful opportunity to get the kids out of the house (or out of the lake) and enjoy a chance to save a bit of money as school is just around the corner!