I have always thought of Cornelius as the older sister to Mooresville since it was targeted by Crescent Homes for its first luxury lake front residential community, The Peninsula (with 11 miles of shoreline on Lake Norman), about ten years before The Point in Mooresville.
Both towns have a significant number of miles of newly developed waterfront property on jagged peninsulas of land jutting out into the middle of the main channel of Lake Norman. And both towns have their historic downtowns on the east side of I-77 along the old Main street/ Highway 115.
Because Cornelius experienced its most significant waterfront housing developments in the early 1990’s, compared to Mooresville there are more mature trees and landscaping giving it a bit of a different feel.
A general overview of Cornelius NC:
- In the late 1800’s, after a dispute over cotton weighing, R.J Strough decided to move south of Davidson where he first established a school, weighing operation and store in a community that became known as “Liverpool”. By 1891 the Stough-Cornelius Mill was created and after reaching the status of a full-scale town, in 1905 the Town of Cornelius became the fifth town within Mecklenburg County.
- Population: 20,449+ which has grown from 2,581 in 1990!
- Taxes: .2750 (town) + .8387 (county) = $1.1137 per $100
- Mecklenburg County
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Located on the East Shore of Lake Norman about 28 miles north of Charlotte
- Straddles the west and east side of I-77’s Exit 28
- A Town By Any Other Name: A History of Cornelius NC by Leslie B Rindoks is available at local bookstores
Besides the beautiful homes, The Peninsula offers two community clubs: The Peninsula Yacht Club is a first-class marina offering 400 boat-slips, the Yacht club dining room, a competition-sized swimming pool and a great calendar of activities, events and boating classes.
The Peninsula Club offers an 18-hole championship golf course designed by Rees Jones, recreational facilities at the Swim and Tennis Center, Club house with fine and casual dining and activities and private boat slips to enable members to arrive by water!
All along Catawba Rd. (which is in the process of being widened!) are a great variety of restaurants, coffee shops (Starbucks of course) and other upscale retail and businesses.
The Town of Cornelius boasts 12 community parks including the wonderful Jetton Park along Lake Norman where you can take a walk or bike ride amidst tall trees, play tennis, or just enjoy the incredible views of Lake Norman.
There are also a number of newer developments from the popular Oakhurst community of town homes and condominiums to the Heritage Green which is a new community of single family homes both of which are priced in the high $100,000’s.
Links to important Cornelius Resources:
OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT LAKE NORMAN AND ITS COMMUNITIES