If you truly want to learn anything and everything about Lake Norman, there is only one man to turn to: Gus Gustafson! Although I have seen his fishing articles in The Charlotte Observer I had never met him until I had the pleasure of hearing him speak to our Mooresville/Lake Norman Exchange Club this past Thursday.
For some reason I had always expected him to be a crusty old fisherman and I couldn’t have been more wrong! It turns out Gus Gustafson is the Cotton Ketchie of Lake Norman. Yes, he is exceptionally knowledgeable about all aspect of Lake Norman, but his sense of humor and very tall, strong and lively demeanor makes an entire room light up; you would hardly know you are actually LEARNING about Lake Norman or fishing!
- Gus has fished Lake Norman since it was created in the early 1960’s
- He has his USCG Captain’s License
- He is the “premier fishing guide on Lake Norman”
- He has a weekly column, “Fishin’ with Capt. Gus”, which is published in The Charlotte Observer, News at Norman, The Lake Norman Times and many others.
- Gus’s website: Lake Norman Stripe Fishing, features a weekly column, a monthly fishing forecast, and “Fish Tales and Other Stories Told by Gus”
- Owner of Lake Norman Ventures Inc which provides everything from fishing guide services to luxury chartered boat tours of Lake Norman to the Lake Norman Laugh Liner!
- Innovator or seller of boating and fishing products which he sells online on his website.
- Gus provides speeches and demonstrations to clubs and organizations abut lake issues, boating safety
- Gus provides fishing clinics and seminars
- President of Lake Norman Striper Swipers
- Consultant for the Lake Norman Marine Commission
While you might think that his knowledge and passion is all about fishing you would be terribly wrong. It was clear after hearing him speak that his passion is all about Lake Norman…from the water quality, to the best times of year to visit Lake Norman State Park to when to expect to see Blue Herons, Osprey, Loons and where, down to specific Markers like D4 and D6, to the nature walk and movie at the Duke Energy Explorium.
In his most recent article written on February 10th entitled: Rising Water Levels, Gus writes about lake levels and how they affect fishing, some tips and a list of upcoming events like a new boating course on February 19th “Navigating Lake Norman” held at Mitchell Community College. He also provides current lake levels and a Hot Spot of the Week for fishing.
I plan to hire him to take me and my husband on a long tour of Lake Norman so that I can take my Lake Norman home-buyers out on our boat and introduce them to our incredible lake while viewing homes from the water!