Lake Norman seems to be getting great new shops, restaurants and recreational business on a weekly basis. With the very exciting recent news that there will be a Lake Norman Whole Foods opening in 2014 I feel like my wish list from 2005 when we moved here is complete!
There are so many new restaurants, shops and other fun businesses that rather than write individual articles about each one I will just provide you with a list of the ones that have caught my eye in the past few months:
- Local hangout Vinnie’s on the shores of Lake Norman closed but was purchased by Eddie Lubic who has already opened Eddie’s Seafood and Raw Bar which has an emphasis on “fresh”. He spent a month cleaning up the former Vinnie’s so it now has a clean new looks and a great new menu including their raw bar and seafood starters to entrees like pan roasted salmon, snow crabs, Black Angus Rib, Italian specialties and even hot dogs and burgers. Located on Williamson Rd. 704.799.2090
- Fine Italian dining has come to historic downtown Mooresville! Trattoria Al Gusto, which just opened last week in the town’s original Catholic Church and former location of The Prickly Pear. is located at 761 N. Main. Chef and owner Patricio Campoverde has extensive experience in the restaurant business and decided Mooresville needed a high caliber Italian Restaurant. Focus is on fresh and homemade with “the best quality food they (his customers) can buy.” One of his favorite dishes is the Tagliolini Neri, a black linguine with crab meat and shrimp in a spicy red tomato sauce. Open for dinner from 5-10 pm Monday – Thursday and 5-11 pm on Friday and Saturday. They are planning to add lunches and a Sunday brunch in the future. 704.660.1066 ( I have since been there 3 or 4 times and the food is excellent!!!)
- On the more casual side, Jeff and Chris Steiner, owner of 6 Five Guys Burgers and Fries, JUST opened the Moe’s Southwest Grill last Thursday. It is located right next to the Hobby Lobby in the Lowe’s Home Improvement shopping center on Hwy 150 at Exit 36. This joins Mooresville’s newer Chipolte located in the Best Buy shopping center also on Hwy 150. Great, fresh Mexican fast food is here!
- Craft beers have arrived big time to Lake Norman. The most recent is “Ultimate Ales” which is located in the Mooresville Town Square shopping center. Currently the only retailer dedicated solely to the sale of craft beer in Mooresville, they will offer almost 300 kinds of local, regional and national craft beers plus selected imports according to owner Mark Moore. They plan on having a bar with six taps and weekly tasting events. FYI there is a local homebrew organization called Iredell Brewing Club!.
- Under the category of recreation and considered an “ode to Italy”, The Mooresville Motorplex, an outdoor karting track, opened recently on a 30-acre campus at 130 Motorplex Drive in Mooresville adjacent to the athletic fields at Mazeppa Road Park. Arrive and and drive your own cart or rent one of their Sodikart RT8 390cc karts. They hold such competitions as the MMX Carting Challenge, MMX League Racing and several national events including the US Rotax Max Challenge Grand Nationals. Well, Mooresville IS Race City USA!
- The Langtree Charter Academy, a tuition free public charter school serving k-12 students just opened for this fall adding yet another great educational option for Lake Norman students.
- Can you say WOOF? Mooresville has a new leash-free dog park located in historic Mooresville on Academy Rd. The park is separated into two areas, one for smaller dogs and one for larger.
- It was recently announced that the Langtree Hotel and Convention Center will soon be home to a Doubletree By Hilton Hotel & Conference Center. this 12-story, 227 room $90,000 million hotel is envisioned as the center piece of the Langtree development located at Exit 31. Construction is expected to take about 2 years.
Davidson Continue reading