I think one of the greatest things about living on Lake Norman is that we are not one large city but rather a group of about 10 small towns clustered around the lake. Each town has their own character and every one is special. This is particularly evident during the holidays when there is such an eclectic assortment of holiday celebrations from large parades to historic home tours to breakfasts with Santa. There truly is something for everyone!
I have surrounded my desk with clippings from local newspapers, the Charlotte Observer, the Lake Norman Magazine and copies of articles on the Internet in an effort to make a list of the most notable of the upcoming events. If I miss anyone, please don’t hesitate to add the information in the comment section! The more the merrier!
This Saturday, December 1st, truly is a BIG DAY around Lake Norman:
- The North Mecklenburg County Christmas Parade and Cornelius Holiday Celebration: Leaves Beaty Street in Davidson at 1pm and travels south on NC115 ending at Mount Zion United Methodist Church about 3p.m. This is one of our community’s oldest traditions. There is a celebration immediately following the parade with horse-drawn carriage rides, arts and crafts and of course a visit from Santa at the Cornelius Holiday Celebration which will be held at the Cornelius Town Hall until 5:00p.m,. For more information: Cornelius Holiday Celebration
- Grand finale to the Christmas in Davidson’s three-day celebration from 6pm-9pm. (See article below for more details)
- Lighting of the Christmas Tree in Downtown Mooresville: At John Franklin Park on Main Street. This coincides with the Downtown Mooresville Gallery Crawl and The Mooresville Museum will also be open and serving hot apple cider.
- Breakfast with Santa: Mooresville’s Lowe’s YMCA: 8:30a.m. – 11:30a.m. Food, fellowship, arts and crafts, entertainment and free 5×7 photo with Santa Open to the public. $18 for members, others $25.
- Christmas Tree Lighting at the Sherrills Ford Library: Santa will be there with gifts for the children…free!
- Christmas at Mt. Mourne: 8am-2pm Photos with Santa, and food. Mt. Mourne Fire Department (1577 Mecklenburg Hwy).
- November 30 – December 2 is the Christmas Tour For Sally’s Y: A tour of homes to benefit Sally’s Y in east Lincoln County featuring Historic Ingleside and 5 unique homes in Maple Grove. $25 per person. Fri and Sat 10 – 5 and Sunday 1 – 5p.m..
Sunday, December 2nd:
- Christmas Star Concert: Mooresville Christian Kids Company will present “Finding the Christmas Star” 5pm at Broad Street Methodist Church 355 So. Broad Street. This is a community choir.
- Make a holiday wreath at Mills Garden Herb Farm: 2-5pm, $25 per person. 732 Mills Garden Rd. Statesville:
Tuesday, December 4th:
- First Day of Hanukkah: Special table of crafts ad books to celebrate the 8 days of Hanukkah 6-8pm at the Sherrills Ford Library
Wednesday, December 5th:
- Homeschool Christmas: A Victorian Christmas celebration for homeschoolers and their families at the Historic Latta Plantation. 12-4p.m. $5 per person.
- Christmas Crafts for kids: Sherrills Ford Library 3-5 p.m. (Also on Dec. 12 and 19th)
- Hanukkah Songs and Crafts: Show ages 2-5 the traditions of this favorite Jewish Holiday; featuring songs, crafts and noshes. 10-11:00a.m. Cornelius Art Center $10 per child with adult.
Thursday, December 6th:
- Handmade Holiday Cards: For ages 6-11 3-4:30pm. $14. Register at: Childrens Art Project
Saturday, December 8th:
- A Candlelight Christmas: Historic Latta Plantation. Step back in time to a 19th century Christmas as you are led through the plantation by lantern. 6-9:00 pm. $7 for Adults. $5:00 for Children 6+.
- Holiday Tour of Historic Statesville Homes: (Dec. 8-9). “Visit some of Statesville’s architectural marvels that create a priceless account of the people and events significant to the South. Enjoy 8 historic properties, all on the National Register, decorated for the holidays.” For more information or tickets: Preservation Statesville
- Pet Photos at Friends for Life LKN Humane Animal Rescue and Huntersville Petco: Pet photos with Santa 11-4p.m. Donation $6.95. Proceeds go to benefit homeless pets. Balloons and prizes for kids and Santa will be there!
- Holiday Story Time at Davidson Town Hall: Mrs. Happy Holiday Shares Stories of the Season 9:30-10:30 ages 5-7; and 11:00 – 12:00 for ages 8-10. Children of any and all abilities can join in stories, decorating holiday cookies and crafts. Includes Therapeutic Recreation program participants. For more information: www.d-recs.org
- A Celtic Christmas! The Beggar Boys Holiday Performance: Traditional Irish and Scottish music and step dancers. 7:30p.m. at the Charles Mack Citizen’s Center in Mooresville. For details: 704.941.0650
- Breakfast with Santa: 8:30 – 11:30a.m. Includes arts and crafts, magic show and visit with Santa. Lake Norman YMCA Cornelius. For more information: 704.716.4400
- Mooresville Library’s Holiday Party: 10- Noon. All ages, crafts, Paws to Read, refreshments and Santa.
Sunday, December 9th:
- Hannukkah at Birkdale: Beth Shalom of Lake Norman presents the third Hanukkah at Birkdale. Food, crafts and the lighting of the menorah. 1:00pm Birkdale Village
Tuesday, December 11th:
- 2007 Stocks for Tots!!!!! THE EVENT for race fans of all types and ages! 5:30p.m. to 10:00p.m. at the Charles Mack Citizens Center in Mooresville. This is an event near and dear to my heart. I will write a separate article about all of the details. I will be there working the VIP Reception. Autographs from NASCAR and other racing celebrities, live auction of sheet metal and other collectibles. For more details go to: www.stocksfortots.com.
So, this takes care of the next two weeks. Please check your local newspapers for other events I may have missed!